Saturday, June 11, 2011

ENJOYING JAPAN IN NOVA SCOTIA


Ohayo-gozaimasu!  


The easiest Japanese word to learn is "Ohayo",  'Good morning!'-- just like 'Ohio'.  (You can forget the 'gozaimasu' if you wish--it is technically required only if you are speaking to someone older than you.) 














And what a beautiful June morning it is here in Canada!--- bright warm sun, a slight crispness in the air and flowers in my Japanese gardens going crazy. 



I hope you don't mind if I slip  a few Japanese words into this blog. Most of the Canadian kids who live here along Nova Scotia's St. Mary's Bay---aka 'the French Shore'---are fluent both in French and English or are studying both, so they absorb languages like sponges.  I envy them.... 



  That 12th cen. Japanese garden we walked through earlier had a 'bakemono'----a
 popular term for 'monster' that you kids into anime and manga know well.

  My gardens here have visiting bees, their buzzing the single sweet sound on this quiet breeze except for the 'shakuhachi' (bamboo flute) music coming from the gallery.  


...ah, life is good....

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Gardens! Are those blooming chives? Your stone lantern is a wonderful contrast to the flowers.

    I was looking for the gallery hours on your website. Are you open on Saturdays? I also thought a picture of the front of the gallery and a small map of your location would be useful additions for visitors.

    I and my daughter are planning a trip to visit in early July.

    VJ

    ReplyDelete